How to disable 3G on your Samsung Omnia W

This is another tip which I dug around for hours to get.
Posting it here so that it saves some people time.

So in my Samsung Omnia W Windows phone, it defaults to 3G out of the box and there is no visible setting to change it.
If you like me, don’t really want to switch to 3G and would rather prolong the life of your battery, here is what you need to do:

1. Go into the phone dial mode.
  2. Type: ##3282#
  3. If the screen does not change to “field test”, tap the dial button.
  4. On the next screen which opens up, pop up the settings options from the bottom of the screen via the … button.
  5. Tap settings
  6. In the Network type, select 2G only
  7. Hit the back arrow and go to your home screen.
  8. Your phone will now work on the 2G network and consume lesser battery.

Hope this helps someone.

Comments (64)

• Sanjay 6 years ago Reply

Dear Saurabh,
    Last few days I have been talking to Samsung every day for a solution but have not been able to help so far. Interestingly, the phones which samsuung customer service (demo sets I guess) they have the enable/disable 3G option under the mobile network settings. I was talking to the Microsoft customer support yesterday and they have some ‘ease of access’ option wherer they can enable/disable 3G – not sure if there are various versions of the firmware floating around and in different countries. But coming back to point – your solution works Man !! Great show and thanks Much !! Keep this good work up !!

srikanth 6 years ago Reply

Would like to know why don’t we have the ease of access option on the phone ?

• Manish 6 years ago Reply

Dear Saurabh,

I was going crazy loooking for solution to my texting problem as i can’t send SMS on My Tata DOCOMO 3 G Network. It’s a great relief for me as finally i can switch to normal EDGE connection and text normally with out any problem. Cheers to you.

Regards,

Manish

• Biju 6 years ago Reply

Tanks

• Varun Jain 6 years ago Reply

Hahaha ! Guess which site popped up when i googled “how to switch off 3g on omnia w” :D

Anyways thanks a ton…. awesomely helpful !!!

• Harshad Pai 6 years ago Reply

Thanks Saurabh! really helpful. I was draining battery like anything and was beginning to wonder if its a phone problem!

• Huzefa Husain 6 years ago Reply

Thanks a ton Saurabh for the info. I was on the verge of giving away the omnia w because of no 2g option. You are a savior :)
    Keep up the good work

• pradeep 6 years ago Reply

I just thought to sell my mobile due to battery life when it always 3G is on… Your solution is awesome awesome awesome.. thsnk you very much thankyou thankyou

• Ashish 6 years ago Reply

Thanks . your trick really worked

• Sanjay 6 years ago Reply

I am using both Iphone4 and Omnia W. While my iphone displays the hindi fonts but the windows phone doesn’t – all I get to see there is square boxes. I have been looking for a solution but no success so far. Any idea how I can enable this on the windows phone. Thanks/ Sanjay

saurabhj 6 years ago Reply

Hey Sanjay,
    Unfortunately, I don’t have an idea on how to get devnagiri script to display on the phone.

Language support is generally low priority for manufacturers – hence MS probably hasn’t yet gotten to implement that on its still shiny new OS. However, the iphone being older and more refined has that feature in.

• omniaw 6 years ago Reply

Hi,

If you change to 2g won’t you be wasting your 3g since we paid for 3g and now using it as 2g.
    Also the above setting automatically changes as I access certain applications to 3g only etc by itself even though I make the above setting via keycodes.

saurabhj 6 years ago Reply

You are right. However, I have not signed up for 3G as yet – so even though my data transfers happen at GPRS speeds, the phone uses the 3G bandwidth for voice calls which would drain my battery up in 8 hours.

This setting actually made my phone last for 36+ hours. If you need 3G, then you cannot use this setting.

• sundar 6 years ago Reply

Hi saurab…

thanx a ton… it fixed it… thanks once again.. it will help people.

• shruti 6 years ago Reply

i own omnia w..i have been facing problem with activating uninor gprs in it..when i give a new apn addition according to uninor gprs setting..it automatically give its own password to it without me adding..is it that,that 2g cards do not work in 3g phones..?plz help..its been 3 days n still im unable to get hold of internet on this phone.other than apn ..are there any other settings for gprs>

saurabhj 6 years ago Reply

Hi Shruti,

Thanks for stopping by.

You should contact Uninor itself. They may need to activate some setting for the handset. I have not had any issues on the Idea network so far.

• Atul 6 years ago Reply

Thanks Saurabh, Battery consumption when on 3g was driving me mad. I have now created a new contact “3g” with the number “##3282#” so toggling between 2g and 3g has become fun.
    Hope they integrate it as a button in the settings menu soon.

saurabhj 6 years ago Reply

Hey Atul. That’s a great tip! Thanks for sharing.

• Praveen 6 years ago Reply

Hi saurabh
    m having omnia w
    whenever I m switching on 3g/data
    m not able to send SMS.how to fix this?

saurabhj 6 years ago Reply

Hi Praveen,

This is a known issue for some devices and unfortunately, I haven’t been able to figure out a way around it.
    One of my friends recently mentioned that you could take your phone to the Samsung service center and they install a patch which fixes the issue.
    Maybe you could try that?

If you don’t send a lot of text messages, a short term fix could be what Atul mentioned (see in the comments) of creating a “3G” contact with the number “##3282#” so that you can toggle 3G off easily before sending a text.

Chandru 6 years ago

You are true Shaurabh… i had this issue after i activate the 3g network. I need to press “try again” option many times to send the sms successfully. Fortunately, one day i got the message stating that “New Update available”. when i connected to zune, it installed the new updated namely “Update from Samsung” (not microsoft). Now i am able to send SMS happily :)

• sundar 6 years ago Reply

Hi Saurab,

Am not able to send group messages to mutiple contacts, the msg comes bounces back as error. am using samsung omnia W. any updates?

• deepak 6 years ago Reply

Thanks bro..i ws goin to throw ma Omnia .wel can u tell how to download opera or opera mini for this windows mode bcoz it dsnt support

saurabhj 6 years ago Reply

Hi Deepak,
    Glad that I could save your Omnia :)
    I really have no clue about Opera Mini as I have not tried it. The bundled IE does its job really well as it is a full featured browser compared to the Opera Mini which is a mini browser with limited functionality.

• Noor 6 years ago Reply

Thanks Saurabh……I was googling to find any way to enable/disable 3g on ma omniaw…….thanks for this valuable info.Thanks

• Anish 6 years ago Reply

Does it work for W I8350

Chandru 6 years ago Reply

yes, this really worked well !! :)

• deepika 6 years ago Reply

Thanx alot saurabh… :):) it really worked..

• Chandru 6 years ago Reply

But Saurabh, my Omnia wi3850 worked well after 3G connection also. The battery drained in last 2 weeks only. I don’t know why !! can we use the applications that is available in marketplace to drain the battery completely and recharge it again from the start ? Is it worthy and safe ?

saurabhj 6 years ago Reply

Chandru, your Omnia wi3850 is a Windows 7 phone by Samsung – so this hack should work for you as well.
    I think I might know what your issue is.

Basically, networks in India are switching to 3G one by one – area wise.
    I am not an expert at this, but I think 3G has a different band for voice communication as compared to 2G.
    So when 3G becomes available in your network and you have one of the newer phones – like the Omnia W or the iPhone, it will automatically switch to the 3G network for voice calls even though you have not subscribed to 3G.
    This was what happened to me as well.

The second your phone switches to 3G, it will start draining the battery.
    I would recommend that you use this hack and switch 3G off if you have not subscribed to the 3G service.

• David 6 years ago Reply

Saurabh.. Thanks sooo much !!!

• Mayur 6 years ago Reply

Hi Guys,

i’m also facing problem in calling when 3g is activated.Any idea how to get rid of this.

saurabhj 6 years ago Reply

Hi Mayur,
    Either disable 3G as shown in the blog or then install the latest firmware from Samsung by connecting the phone to the PC and starting Zune which solves this issue entirely.

Mayur 6 years ago

Hi ,
    After firm ware update its working fine,Thanks.

Few more queries:
    1)Is it possible to set mp3 as a ring tone

2)I’m also feeling like there is some wifi problem .
    when i switch on wifi its show’s few availabe connection(that also keep comming and going….not stable)..but when i switch on wifi on my laptop it show lots of available connection ,more-over with gud strength ..

3)also when i browse net ,it show’s i’m left with some download limit and valid till some time .is that thing is provided by microsoft

(i’m feeling like i had wasted my money by buying this cell…….)

• Shahul 5 years ago Reply

Hello saurabhj,

I use samsung omnia with vodafone network. There is one problem which i am facing. In vodafone, to check the amount of internet data we have used, we need to dial *111# and then follow the menu which appears. That is, we will need the numeric keypad to continue. but unfortunately the keypad doesnt appear at that instant! any solutions?

Thanks :)

• sunil 5 years ago Reply

Hi Saurab, Thanks a lot for sharing this info…. I searched for hours and couldnt find the option & was abt to visit the mobile showroom to ask whether this phone has a 3G…..

Thanks …..

• Ashish 5 years ago Reply

I have gprs connection enabled on my operator plan. When I make gprs data connection off (by going to settings->cellular Data connection Off) and connect my Samsung Omnia W to wi-fi then the internet doesn’t work. Could you please help me and tell what is the procedure to make wi-fi the first connection to be used in my device.

Pankaj 5 years ago Reply

Thanks Ashish, This option has worked for me without dialing any number.

• Satya 5 years ago Reply

@Shahul, type *111*6*2# . It will show you your consumption. Cheers!

• Dhinakaran 5 years ago Reply

Very useful information that your are provided. Thanks lot…

• David 5 years ago Reply

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for the tip on the 3g/2g conversion.. Helped me and a ton of others as well..
    I was wondering if there was a workaround to increasing the volume of the speaker/music…. There are many hacks/tweaks for the samsung 7 series, but none for the omnia W. Please share if you have come across any…

thanks, David

• aniruddha 5 years ago Reply

thats rite! as david said, lotta stuff regarding omnia 7…please help! ;) thanks for the help btw. updated my phone and messages are delivered fine! :)

• SAmeeR 5 years ago Reply

Hey ! Is there any way to Root The omnia w plzzz tell me i m waiting for reply .. i tried so many things to root but doesnt work on my ROM .
    Thanku :D

saurabhj 5 years ago Reply

Hey Sameer,
    Really sorry but I have no idea about this.

– Saurabh

SAmeeR 5 years ago

It’s okay but try this – http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/developer_interop_unlock_your_samsung_wp7_with_windowbreak-12-23-11 And follow the steps .. :D :)

• Mrikank 5 years ago Reply

hey what is the use of polling frequency in field test
    and limit sms storage ???
    please explain me clearly

• himansh 5 years ago Reply

And is there any way to lock messages , or to add privacy lock except than main screen lock
    any application or some trick ??

• meenal 5 years ago Reply

Thanx alot !!

• sahar 5 years ago Reply

thank u thousand times….yr advice is awsme it save my time …..

• saket 5 years ago Reply

Hi saurabh I have Samsung Omnia W and I can’t see Hindi fonts in my phone plz help me

• joshy 5 years ago Reply

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

• ashfaq 5 years ago Reply

Great knowledge…even service provider dont know this thing..good job..:-)

• nauman khalid 5 years ago Reply

Hi after switching to 2g …i tried to switch it back to 3g using your trick on my omnia w …but now the network goes to no srvice emergency calls only mode if i select 3g only
    2g works fine though !!!
    Any idea ??

Coz i hv sbscrbd to 3g nd want to access 3g while browsing internet please help
    Thank you!!!

saurabhj 5 years ago Reply

Hi Nauman,

I think you will need to contact your service provider to sort this out as it looks like a network issue.

– Saurabh

• tara 5 years ago Reply

Thanks buddy

• nilesh 5 years ago Reply

hey saurabh…plz help me out with this…
    I hv Samsung Omnia W GTI8350…i hv activated DOCOMO 3G on my cell but its not working at all not even the 2G network..by setting it to 3G aftr dialling ##3282# wt is the polling frequency that we hv to set?? also wt should be the Network selection Automatic or hv to select it??

saurabhj 5 years ago Reply

Hi Nilesh, I’m afraid I cannot directly help you as it seems to be a Tata Docomo configuration issue. I remember I had to set Idea APN and other usernames and passwords to be able to access their 3G network.

Your best bet would be to call up their customer care and ask for these settings.

• pushkerpandey 5 years ago Reply

How to support hindi language in the browser.help me

• Ahad Ali 4 years ago Reply

hello saurabh.
    i m unable to play youtube in Samsung omnia 8350i
    error wll appear we can nt play this file in ur phn wht can i do plz hlp me out…

• Navneet 4 years ago Reply

Thanks Saurabh,

I was struggling with my phone because no option was there to disable 3G. Now it is better for me.

• shikha 4 years ago Reply

hello m using samsung omnia 7 and can use internet by wifi thats it…plzz help me how to add apn in idea netwrok

saurabhj 4 years ago Reply

Hi Shikha,

The APN for idea for GPRS / 3G is:
    internet

You need to add these in the:
    Settings>edit APN
    screen. Hope this helps.

• perkins 4 years ago Reply

Thanks for your great tips.!

• CKeith 3 years ago Reply