This is another tip which I dug around for hours to get.
Posting it here so that it saves some people time.
So in my Samsung Omnia W Windows phone, it defaults to 3G out of the box and there is no visible setting to change it.
If you like me, don’t really want to switch to 3G and would rather prolong the life of your battery, here is what you need to do:
- Go into the phone dial mode.
- Type: ##3282#
- If the screen does not change to “field test”, tap the dial button.
- On the next screen which opens up, pop up the settings options from the bottom of the screen via the … button.
- Tap settings
- In the Network type, select 2G only
- Hit the back arrow and go to your home screen.
- Your phone will now work on the 2G network and consume lesser battery.
Hope this helps someone.