I recently bought a Windows 7.5 phone which is pretty cool – but this being a Samsung Omnia W and my previous phone being a Nokia E72, I had a tough time importing contacts from one phone to another.
If both phones were Nokia (like the Lumia), Nokia has a very easy app which does this over bluetooth (I think) – but no luck here.
So this is what I ended up doing finally, which worked.
Putting it up so that it could save you some time mucking around with stuff.
You will need:
- Your old phone Nokia (Series 60)
- A Gmail account
- Internet access on your new Windows 7 phone
- A Windows computer
Step 1: Export all your Nokia contacts to .vcf files.
Your mileage may vary – but what I did was as follows.
- Go to your Contacts screen.
- Click on Options > Mark All
- Click on Options > Create Backup > Phone to memory card
Wait for a few seconds depending on how many contacts you have.
This will copy all your contacts to your memory card on your Nokia device.
For me, the contacts ended up being in:
Memory Card > Others > Contacts
Plug in your SD card to your computer (or plug in your phone) and copy this contacts folder to a location on your computer. (say C:\Contacts)
Then, concatenate all the .vcf files into one file using the following method:
- On your windows machine, click on Start > Run > cmd
- Browse to the Contacts folder
- Type: copy *.vcf all.vcf
This will put all your vcf files into one.
Step 2: Import your contacts to GMail
- Login to your GMail account (or create a new one if you don’t want to mess up your existing one)
- Go to the Contacts screen by clicking on the big MAIL text on the left hand side of the screen and selecting Contacts.
- On the screen that opens up, click on the More button > Import
- Select the all.vcf file and import.
All your files should now be imported into GMail.
- Once this is done, click on the More button > Find & Merge Duplicates
to let GMail quickly merge any duplicate accounts that you may have.
Step 3: Add this GMail account to your People App to sync all your contacts on your phone
- On your phone, click on the People tile.
- Pull up the settings from the bottom.
- Click on “add an account”
- Select Google
- Type in your credential
- Tap on “Sign in”
- Magically watch your contacts migrating into the Windows phone
Make sure that from the Settings section in the People tile (step 3.2 above), you have the Google account selected when you click on the “Filter my contact list” button, otherwise you will have to use the Number Finder service to find contacts.
Thats all there is to it! Hope this is helpful to you!