If you are in India and have tried booking your train tickets on the Indian Railway website through IRCTC, there is a good chance that your transaction has failed while booking the tickets.
I generally use netbanking (ICICI) as it is more affordable (Rs. 10 per transaction) as compared to using credit cards (3.5% per transaction) and have had my transaction fail recently.
Which means that they deducted my money from my bank account and before the site could redirect me back to IRCTC from the payment gateway, it timed out.
What do you do in this scenario?
- Login back to IRCTC
- Go to “Booked History” by clicking on the link from your dashboard.
- If it is showing your ticket there, then great! It has been booked and you can now take a print out!
- If your ticket is not shown there, you should quickly book the ticket again as tickets run out quickly on popular routes.
- The money already debited from your account will turn up automatically in your account within the next 48 – 72 hours – so don’t worry about it.
- If your money hasn’t come back in 3 days – you should contact IRCTC with the exact transaction ID and they should hopefully be able to resolve your issue – though this has never happened to me.
This same holds true for instances in which you book a ticket but select an option such as “Confirm ticket only if all seats are present in same berth” or “Book tickets only if I get my choice of seating”.
In such cases, your account is debited – the site will inform you that the booking could not be made – and your money will come back to you after a couple of days. So if you don’t have a lot of cash in your bank account, this might not be the best option to use as you may be left with very little cash for a few days while they refund your account.
At one time, 4 of my tickets could not be booked as I needed a particular seating for my grandparents and close to Rs. 8,000 was stuck with IRCTC.
IRCTC contact details are as follows: (as of 25th May 2012 – this may not be the latest)
Customer Care No. 011 39340000
Chennai Customer Care No. 044-25300000
For Railway tickets booked through IRCTC
Hope this post helps someone who has just had a bad transaction and is apprehensive of whether they will ever see their money again :)