I have a Kindle and an Amazon Prime account – which lets me access their Kindle Owner’s Lending Library.
However, I could never see this – and I have spent quite sometime trying to figure this out and thought I’d share the info here so it can save you sometime.
What is the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library you ask?
Amazon basically opens up more than 400,000 books for you to borrow for free from its library – once a month.
So 12 books in a year. You can return the book after reading to borrow another one in a calendar month.
Currently, the quality of books is a little lacking with most publishers staying out of this – so you are not missing much if you don’t have a Prime account.
However, if you do have a prime account and cannot see the Lending Library on your device, read on.
To be able to access the library and borrow books, you need to be on a Kindle device.
Apps on phones will not work. A loop-hole by which you can see the library on your browser is listed here. However, to actually borrow the book, you will need your Kindle device.
Step 01 (if you are on your browser):
- Go to this link.
- Make sure your country is set to the United States.
- Go to Step 02.
Step 01 (if you are on your kindle):
I have a Kindle Paper Keyboard – but this should work on other models as well.
- From Kindle Home, go to Menu > Shop in Kindle Store
- Once in the Store View, go to Menu > Store Settings
- You will find an option to change your country to United States.
Step 02 – You need your device for this
- From Kindle Home > Go to Menu > Settings
- Once in Settings > Go to Menu > Restart Kindle
- Wait for the Kindle to Restart
Once the Kindle restarts, the library will be accessible to you.
To Access the Library from your device:
- Go to Menu > Shop in Kindle Store
- On the top of this page, you will see a link for “All Categories”
- Hover over that and click it.
- At the bottom, you will notice a link for “Kindle Owner’s Lending Library”
- From this page – or any generic search that you perform, if the result has a PRIME logo next to it, that book will be available for borrowing.
- Just click on the link and select the second button which says: “Borrow from Lending Library”
- You are good to go!